Global outreach is part of the very DNA of Black Rock Church. Since 1933, Black Rock has been sending missionaries around the globe in response to the Great Commission of Christ in Matthew 28:18-20. To date, our missionary family has grown to over 60 families and individuals serving in 30 countries. This list includes 13 “creative access” countries where there is limited freedom of religion, and Christians risk persecution for their faith.
The Board of Missions has established four strategic priorities:
1. To take the Gospel to people who have least access to the Gospel
- Thirty percent of the world’s population has no indigenous community of believing Christians with adequate numbers and resources to evangelize that people group.
- We are especially committed to reaching countries of North Africa and Central Asia
2. To take the Gospel to the poorest of the poor.
- Christ calls us to care for the poor.
- We are especially committed to the poor in Haiti, Rwanda, and Syrian refugees in Jordan.
3. To take the Gospel to the least powerful and the exploited.
- Christ calls us to care for the widow and the orphan.
- We are especially committed to ending childhood slavery in Ghana in partnership with International Justice Mission’s work on Lake Volta.
4. To take the Gospel to local university students and children/families at risk within our community.
- We are committed to outreach among students at University of Bridgeport, Fairfield University, and Sacred Heart and families in the PT Barnum community, working alongside Urban Impact.
Because we are committed to be the hands and feet of Christ within our community, we support 13 local outreach partners. Click here to view a list of our local outreach partners.
We are committed to supporting our missionaries through prayer. As part of our Annual Global Missions Conference, the congregation is given an opportunity to sign up to pray for one or more of our missionaries and/or local ministry partners. Each of our missionaries has at least 10 Black Rock Prayer Partners.
We believe that financially supporting our missionaries is a privilege and we encourage every Black Rock attender to be part of God’s work around the world by making a Faith Promise commitment. Each year during our Global Missions Conference, Black Rock attenders are given an opportunity to make a financial pledge (Faith Promise) to our Global Missions program. The pledge total helps determine the Global Missions budget for the upcoming fiscal year. Our current Global Missions budget is in excess of $1,200,000. Click here to make a Faith Promise pledge in support of Black Rock's Global Missions Program.
STAMP trips provide opportunities for Black Rock adults to share Christ's love with people worldwide. These one- to two-week trips meet a wide variety of needs including evangelism, medical care, construction, children’s ministry, adult Bible education, and outreach.
Several trips are offered each year, both domestically and internationally. These trips are life-changing opportunities to be a part of what God is doing around the world! STAMP teams have served in Nigeria, Panama, Thailand, Haiti/Dominican Republic, Rwanda, Ghana and many other locations.
International Student Dinner | First Friday each month | 6:30pm
@ University of Bridgeport
One of Black Rock’s local ministry partners, Bridges International Students, hosts an international student dinner at University of Bridgeport the first Friday night each month (during school year) at 6:30pm. You are invited to participate by bringing a potluck item to help feed 200+ students from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East who are eager to enjoy conversation and home-cooked food. Many students, having never before interacted with a Christian, are open to hear about your spiritual journey with Jesus.
Global Missions Education
Black Rock conducts two annual church-wide missions conferences to challenge members of the congregation to be a part of fulfilling the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), to encourage them to better serve our world, and to educate them about the global church. Our annual Fall Outreach Festival Sunday highlights our local ministry partners
In early spring, our eight-day Annual Global Missions Conference focuses on global missions. During this exciting celebration of what God is doing around the world, many of our missionaries join us and share how God is using them to bring the Gospel to people of every nation and language!
Black Rock Student Missions
Black Rock Student Ministries is also committed to missions. They have ministered internationally in Haiti and Dominican Republic and domestically in West Virginia and Philadelphia.
Black Rock Kids Missions
Black Rock’s Kids program is part of our missions strategy. Throughout the year, kids classes welcome guest missionaries, write to missionary families, and pray for missionaries who serve internationally and domestically. During the Annual Global Missions Conference, kids enjoy their own program featuring missionary guests, international food and games, and education about other cultures.
Black Rock Missions Applications and Information