Baptism is an amazing opportunity for you, as a follower of Christ, to proclaim your love for Jesus and to glorify God by being obedient to His instructions in the Bible. It's so much more than a tradition - it's a celebration of the new life that Christ has given you!
GET BAPTIZED AT BLACK ROCK
Interested in being baptized at Black Rock Church? Call the church office (203-255-3401) or email to sign up for our next baptism services taking place November 18.
Before your baptism service, you must attend a mandatory baptism orientation class, in which we'll explore the biblical backgrounds of baptism and talk about the purposes of baptism. Orientations will be offered October 28 & November 4 following each morning worship service in the Prayer Room. You need to attend one of these classes, so pick the one that works with your schedule.
During your baptism service, we will present a short personal testimony that you supply to us. We have a team of volunteers who will read the testimonies of those being baptized, so don't worry if public speaking isn't your thing! To write your testimony, reflect on Christ's work in your life by answering the following three questions:
- How did you become a Christian?
- What difference has faith made in your life?
- Why are you being baptized now?
If you've never written a testimony before, don't worry! We would love to help you as you learn how to share the story of what God has done in your life!
WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
- To follow Christ’s example (Mark 1:9).
- Christ commanded it (Matthew 28:19-20).
- It shows you are a believer (Acts 10:47-48).
- Obeying Christ evidences your love for Him (John 14:15).
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
- Baptism is a symbol of Christ’s burial and resurrection. When you are baptized you are buried with Christ, and raised to new life with Him (Colossians 2:12).
- It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian. As Romans 6:4 says, “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
- Baptism does not make you a believer; it shows that you already are one. Baptism does not save you; only your faith in Christ does that (Ephesians 2:8-9). Baptism is like a wedding ring. It’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart. Baptism is an outward sign of the work God has done in you.
HOW ARE WE BAPTIZED?
- We follow the example Jesus set for us when He was baptized by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:13-17).
- Every baptism in the Bible was done by means of immersion under water. An example of this is found in Acts 8:38-39, where Philip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch.
- The Greek word that is translated as “baptize” means to submerge, or to dip under water; this is in contrast to another Greek word, which means "to sprinkle." Therefore, we understand that baptism is done by full immersion in water.
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Every believer who has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior should be baptized (Acts 2:38; Col. 2:12).
WHAT ABOUT CHILDREN?
Many children, especially after learning about baptism or seeing a baptism service, desire to be baptized. This is a wonderful desire, and we encourage children to continue to take strides in their faith. At the same time, it is very important for a child to understand what baptism is and to show a desire to live for Jesus. Parents of children that are interested in baptism should contact our team at to discuss next steps in seeing their child baptized.
SHOULD WE BE BAPTIZED TWICE?
Many people were baptized prior to accepting Christ as Savior, whether this was through infant baptism, or simply because they did not fully understand the significance of this action. If you have become a follower of Jesus since your first baptism, we encourage you to be baptized again, and fully support you in this!
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
In most cases, as soon as possible after you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior (Acts 8:35-36).
Hear From Our Senior Pastor About Baptism And Why You Should Take This Step
Sign Up For Our Next Baptism Service
Baptism is an amazing time at Black Rock, and we would love to celebrate with you as you take this step of faith!